Dynamic poolside warm ups are essential elements of any pre-training or pre-competition routine. They help prepare the body for the demands to come by:
- Increasing the body temperature allowing muscles to work more efficiently.
- Getting the heart and lungs ready for vigorous activity.
- Stretching muscles actively, preparing them for the forces to be experienced.
- Ingraining proper movement patterns and coordination.
- Waking up the nervous system and gets the brain talking with the muscles.
To ensure that you have warmed up adequately, swimmers need to arrive early for training!